This is one of the last operational kerosene-fueled lighthouses in the world. Built in 1862 its light can be seen from 23 nautical miles away. It is also one of only two Manual Lighthouses left in the World. It has a spring mechanism that has to be hand cranked every several hours to maintain the sequence of five white flashes every 15 seconds. The lamp burns less than 3 gallons of kerosene oil, with a wick and mantle, per night. And gets painted every 5 years.